Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 717 AM EST Sun Dec 28 2014 Valid 00Z Mon Dec 29 2014 - 00Z Mon Jan 05 2015 For Hawai'i and much of the Pacific, the 28/00Z ECENS/ECMWF is the preferred solution. Its deterministic output could be utilized into day 6 (3/12z) and has been a consistent choice with respect to the expected flow pattern in the Subtropical and Mid-latitude Pacific. For day 6 and beyond, the 28/00Z is a solid choice across the entire Pacific. The primary feature of the flow this period will be the progression of migratory systems across the central Pacific---originating along a resurgent western Pacific jet axis emerging off the east central Asia. The trough that has been on track to pass across Hawai'i in the 31/00z to 1/00Z time frame will be 'followed up' by another mid-latitude trough in the 2/12z to 3/12z time frame. Both frontal passages appear to be related to the same complex long wave trough/ridge interactions occurring over the high-latitude western hemisphere. In particular, the retrogression of the pattern over Alaska and the Bering Sea is allowing a progressive west-to-east pattern along 45N-50N to 'undercut' the high latitude ridge.. In this medium range forecast period (2/12z to 4/12Z)---a broad trough and cyclonic flow aloft invof the Kamchatka Peninsula will be the anchor point for an active westerly Pacific flow and cyclogenesis near the Dateline. It's the character of the central Pacific 'wave train' (in my opinion) that favored the 28/00z ECENS solution longer term versus the 28/00Z GEFS. Thought the amplitude of the upper-level ridge and the retrogression of the flow over the Gulf of Alaska---in the GEFS solution---relies too much on the formation and then incorporation of a 500mb cutoff low into the mid-latitude flow. Its northward migration along 155W in the day 5-6 period looks out of place. Other factors---over the Yukon and west central Canada---appear to me--to be 'driving things' in the northeast Pacific with respect to the retrograding ridge. It will be worth watching...but felt the 28/00Z GEFS/GFS was 'okay' guidance for Hawai'i until 2/00Z. But then, it begins to influence the mid-latitude flow and the eastern Aleutians-western gulf of Alaska with erroneous mid-level energy transfer. Vojtesak