Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 817 AM EDT Thu Apr 09 2015 Valid 00Z Fri Apr 10 2015 - 00Z Fri Apr 17 2015 The 9/00Z forecast cycle was consistent with previous medium range projections in the north Pacific, Alaska, Mainland west coast and Hawai'i. On-going Hawai'i forecasts appeared to be in good order. The 9/00z GEFS, ECENS, NAEFS ensemble means and their deterministic runs maintain a rather persistent split-flow solution for the Subtropics and Hawai'i this forecast period. Mid-level and upper-level westerlies prevailing at low latitudes (along 20N) and at high latitudes (50N) produce very little amplitude to the pattern west of 140W. What amplitude that does emerge---has room to develop in the far east Pacific---but this has impacts for the Mainland and southern Alaska. Around day 4 (next Monday), the low-latitude westerlies begin to shift northward (to 25N)---in response to an amplifying trough invof the central Aleutians near 170W. The deterministic 9/00Z GFS/ECMWF serve this scenario quite well, and either solution could be used heading into next Tuesday. Beyond Tuesday (day 5), interesting 250 mb flow regime attempting to setup near 160W---and migrating eastward to 150W by the end of this forecast period. Mid-latitude upper-trough and jet-level winds digging southward along ~155W attempt a brief 'phasing' sequence north of Hawai'i with the low-latitude 250mb jet axis. At least, the GFS creates this wetter scenario for next Wednesday and Thursday. The ECMWF keeps the streams separated---though its southward progression of the mid-latitude upper-level trough and digging high-latitude jet streak are similar to the GFS. With the deterministic GFS/ECMWF forecast solutions in relatively-good agreement across the mid-latitude Pacific and Subtropics---worth watching the scenario unfold. With this mind...recommend a blend of the 9/00Z GEFS and ECENS beyond 16/00Z to handle the scenario offered by both deterministic runs---and anticipate lower heights and the possibility of enhanced convection along a mid-latitude cold front---north of Hawai'i. The cold front itself may never drift south of 25N latitude late in this forecast period---but convective outflow could. Vojtesak