Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 825 AM EDT Tue Aug 18 2015 Valid 00Z Wed Aug 19 2015 - 00Z Wed Aug 26 2015 The 18/00Z GEFS/ECENS and their deterministic runs continue to carry the quasi-stationary TUTT cell another couple of days invof 30N 160W. This will allow a westerly component to the mid-level level flow to enhance rainfall/convective potential for west-facing slopes. Not sure if the deep-layered ridge centered near 46N 146W will be the catalyst for 'change' and shifting the TUTT cell westward. Or will a burst of moisture and energy originating in the Tropics (between 140W-150W) be the reason for the movement? This is the difference---the former is the GFS deterministic solution (mid-latitude driven change)---the latter, the deterministic ECMWF solution. I would hedge away from the GFS/GEFS here because of the depth/strength of the deep-layered ridge (596dm +). Empirical observation tells me that the system in the Gulf of Alaska will never be as deep/strong (albeit---a mid-August system) to significantly erode and 'jostle' such a strong synoptic-scale feature. Or to the 'perfect prog' extent---to produce an outcome that permeates to the Tropics by day 4. In short...the GFS solution has too much 'linkage' and 'connectivity' between 10N and 50N along the entire stretch of 150W to take as 'perfect prog' for Hawai'i this coming weekend. . Recommend using a blend of the 18/00Z ECENS/ECMWF to depict the subtle changes in the flow over the central Pacific (between 30N-40N) after day 3. This implies a renewed 'burst of convection' for Hawai'i this weekend---and locally heavy rainfall potential---continuing into the day 6-7 forecast period (next Mon/Tue). Mind you---not a certainty, but a potential 'for'. Vojtesak