Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 803 AM EDT Wed May 18 2016 Valid 00Z Thu May 19 2016 - 00Z Thu May 26 2016 The current Hawai'i forecast appears in relatively good agreement among the 18/00Z model guidance suite for this 7-day period. There is excellent agreement among both the GFS/ECMWF ensemble mean and deterministic solutions that a large subtropical ridge and closed high aloft will continue mainly to the north and northeast of Hawai'i over the next 6 days. Beyond this time, the ensemble means suggest more of a zonal flow pattern aloft compared to both of the deterministic runs. More differences are evident with a large scale trough south of the Aleutians and northwest of Hawai'i around day 5, and both deterministic runs suggest a rather strong closed 500mb low. However, the effects of this feature should remain well to the north of the region. At the surface, easterly trade winds averaging 10 to 20 knots should prevail through the period with little in the way of fluctuation owing to the persistence of the large surface high to the northeast. Overall, a blend of the 18/00Z deterministic GFS/ECMWF and their ensemble mean solutions should maintain a stable medium range forecast for Hawai'i. Hamrick