Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 729 AM EST Thu Dec 29 2016 Valid 00Z Fri Dec 30 2016 - 00Z Fri Jan 06 2017 A very strong 500 hPa positive anomaly just south of the northern Aleutians forced by an amplified trough near 160E teleconnects to a deep cyclone under the ridge's base somewhere to the north of Hawai'i. While separation is normally 20 degrees latitude, the breadth/strength of the positive anomaly is forcing greater separation than usual. The negative anomaly under its base could be composed of multiple closed lows, which is advertised nicely by the global guidance over the next five days. As usual, model disparity increases beyond day 5/January 3, with the GEFS mean supporting the GFS solution and the ECMWF ensemble mean supporting the ECMWF solution with the merging system north of the 50th state. Differences here are linked to the evolution of flow pattern the system is embedded within, which transitions from a Rex-like block to something more Omega-like. Although the 06z GFS looks too strong with ridging in the northeast Pacific per the ensemble mean solutions, believe its solution is closest to correct near Hawai'i, though it is probably a touch (5 degrees) too far to the east-southeast with the merged closed cyclone. The 00z Canadian allows it to escape to the east, which doesn't fit the flow pattern, while the 00z ECMWF has a pair of closed cyclones embedded within the ridge near the 165th meridian west, which is probably one closed low too many (its system near the Aleutians appears to be the odd man out here). With the deep moisture offset east of Hawai'i, a generally quiet pattern is expected with windward focused showers and no more than modest trades from the northeast. Believe a cold front/shear line will drag out of the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument into the northwestern main islands around Wednesday, which could increase rain chances mid next week. Roth