Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 815 AM EDT Sat Mar 24 2018 Valid 00Z Sun Mar 25 2018 - 00Z Sun Apr 01 2018 An upper low initially near 26N/165W is shown by all model/ensemble guidance to continue moving southeastward over the next couple days, passing north of Hawai'i, with an associated surface front passing through the islands as well before stalling by Mon and gradually washing out through mid-week. A surge of high precipitable water values (perhaps exceeding 2.00 inches) ahead of the front will continue to support the development of widespread precipitation and potentially heavy rainfall. The most widespread rainfall should focus across the eastern islands on Sun-Mon. The GFS and ECMWF now show general agreement that the absolute rainfall maximum should remain just mostly south of the eastern islands, with southern potions of the Big Island seeing the greatest heavy rainfall threat. The idea seems to have some support aloft, with somewhat better upper diffluence noted just south of Hawai'i late Sat into Sun. ECENS probabilities support this idea somewhat as well, with the highest probabilities of heavy rainfall amounts exceeding 2 inches just south of Hawai'i, and perhaps across the southern portion of the Big Island. After Monday, models/ensemble show general agreement that heights will gradually rise across Hawai'i with drier air advecting across the state. As the front washes out, the Big Island could remain in somewhat deeper moisture for a couple more days, with the potential for showers persisting through Wed. Low-level flow during this time period should be very light through mid-week, with light easterlies resuming by late next week. A trough/upper low is expected to amplify along 175W by late next week, and the GFS/ECMWF show a front approaching by next weekend. The GFS is a bit quicker with the timing of the front, bringing an increased threat of showers into the western islands by next Sat, while the ECMWF would hold the showers a couple hundred miles farther west. Ryan