Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 829 AM EDT Thu Nov 01 2018 Valid 00Z Fri Nov 02 2018 - 00Z Fri Nov 09 2018 As the upper level trough continues to lift northeast away from Hawai'i, conditions have become drier and the flash flood threat diminished. Light trade winds have returned which will encourage showers on the windward side of the islands. Meanwhile, ensembles still agree on a closed upper level low drifting southwest toward the Hawai'ian islands and will be centered over the island chain by Sunday morning. This will bring higher precipitable water values and increase the chance of rainfall, especially on the Big Island, through the weekend. The atmosphere will be unstable enough that there could be embedded thunderstorms within this activity. By Monday, ensembles show the upper low meandering away from Hawai'i--lingering to the northeast before getting absorbed into an incoming trough. Precipitable water values will dip once again, bringing the typical windward trade showers back through the first half of the week. By Thursday, this upper level trough will begin to approach Hawai'i. At the surface, an occluded front with PW values upwards of 1.5-2 inches will be to the west of the islands. The 06Z GFS is faster with this system versus the 00Z ECMWF; the 00Z ECENS ensemble mean is flatter with the surface feature than the 06Z GEFS mean, but both show some feature to the west of the islands by Thursday morning. Reinhart