Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 729 AM EST Sun Feb 24 2019 Valid 00Z Mon Feb 25 2019 - 00Z Mon Mar 04 2019 With the strong ridging stretching into Alaska, this will favor lower heights to its south, roughly along 150W to the northeast of Hawai'i next week. A mid-level trough is digging southward toward Hawai'i and is expected to pinch off into a closed mid-level low later today. At the surface, the tail-end of a front will continue pushing southeast away from the islands. Drier air is expected to return today which will keep shower activity to a minimum--although the Big Island could have remnant showers through late tonight. The next cold front follows quickly, pushing through the northern islands tonight and will bring modest precipitable water values--increasing chances for showers. On Tuesday and into Wednesday, guidance shows another mid-level low pinching off and pushing south toward Hawai'i. This will keep higher precipitable water values in place as another frontal boundary pushes across the island chain. By Thursday, this system progresses eastward along with the frontal boundary. Northwest to north winds will increase behind this front, with drier air once again settling over the area. Ensembles continue to show yet another mid-level low dipping southward by Sunday morning. the 00Z CMC ensemble mean/00Z ECMWF ensemble mean show this low to be a bit faster than the 06Z GEFS mean/00Z NAEFS mean. However, all are in agreement of this feature being in place by Sunday--suggesting another round of showers will be possible. Reinhart/Fracasso