Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 726 AM EST Sat Dec 27 2014 Valid 00Z Sun Dec 28 2014 - 00Z Sun Jan 04 2015 Thought the 27/00Z ECENS/ECMWF solution more closely follows the evolving pattern in the mid-latitude and Subtropical central Pacific eastward to the US Mainland. The primary reason is how much faster the 27/00Z GEFS/GFS is---incorporating several key features into the flow pattern---particularly in the Gulf of Alaska and over the desert Southwest (AZ/NV/SoCal) by day 5 (next Thursday). At the very least, the 27/06Z deterministic GFS has slowed down the progression of a closed 500mb low invof 35N 150W around the 1/12Z time frame. The deterministic 27/00Z ECMWF would have this same feature closer to 30N 155W at 1/12Z. Prefer the deterministic ECMWF here. That is---IF---the forecast was to lean one way or the other with a deterministic outcome at the day 4-5 time scale. Thought is that it may provide a better representation of the cloud cover and low-level wind fields for the mid-level trough passage in 30/00Z-1/00Z time frame. The key frame of reference---for the Hawai'i forecast---remains tied to a mid-level trough migration across Hawai'i between 31/00Z and 1/00Z. The consolidation of this trough between 150W-160W and a downstream migration of this energy really is the fundamental difference---that would lean my preference away from the GEFS/GFS solution---beyond the 1/00z time frame. The emergence of a closed 500mb low scenario---a feature of both 27/00Z means (ECENS/GEFS)---adds some confidence that another mid-level trough will begin to affect the forecast area on Tuesday and spreads these sensible weather impacts eastward across the entire island chain on Wednesday. For the day 6-7...recommend using the 27/00Z ECENS mean for its consistent forecast approach in the eastern third of the Pacific. Vojtesak