Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 728 AM EST Fri Mar 06 2015 Valid 00Z Sat Mar 07 2015 - 00Z Sat Mar 14 2015 Short Range... The 'winter' weather pattern in the central Pacific and Hawai'i continues through this 7-day package. The short-term trend continues to offer a break in the precipitation with a drier airmass spreading northwest to southeast across the state. The airmass is more mid-latitude rather than the trade wind-derived---with a closed 500mb low (invof 36N 153W) and series of mid-level troughs dominating the sensible weather. Through the next 84 hours---the cutoff low and its mid-level energy will keep the seasonal trade wind flow at bay. Thought the 6/00Z ECMWF/ECENS was representative of the day 1-3 forecast. Medium Range... The 6/00Z forecast cycle---including the GFS/ECMWF and Canadian have resolved some fundamental differences in the Gulf of Alaska and across the mid-latitude Pacific. For Hawai'i and the Subtropics, agreement is for one 500mb cutoff low invof 36N 153W (at 9/12Z) will migrate northeastward into coastal British Columbia (~12/00Z time frame)---and be replaced by another cutoff mid-level system along 165W. This day '6-ish' (12/12Z) system and trough reinforces a mid-latitude like low-level flow pattern and airmass across Hawai'i. The 6/00Z ECENS and NAEFS equally represent the day 5-7 flow pattern. Vojtesak