Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 759 AM EDT Sat Oct 31 2015 Valid 00Z Sun Nov 01 2015 - 00Z Sun Nov 08 2015 The 31/00Z deterministic GFS/ECMWF were two good pieces of forecast guidance --- heading into the 3/12z time frame (early Tuesday) --- in their depiction of the subtle southerly flow/moisture surge setup and disappearance of the seasonal trades/tradewind inversion for Hawai'i. The surface reflection's northward migration into the mid-latitude flow pattern between 155W-160W migration --- is to an extent --- tied to a 'yet-to-form' mid-latitude upper-level circulation---approaching Hawai'i from the northwest. The 31/00Z GFS/ECMWF are in very good agreement with the depth and energetic character of this upper-level feature. Its influences are likely to emerge in the next 24 hours ---from an area of the central Pacific very near 40N 170W --- and both model runs slowly drift it southeastward towards Kauai through the next 48-60 hours. Beyond the day 4 period (generally beginning on/after 5/00Z), the GFS looks a bit too fast with a deep wave sweeping across the eastern Aleutians --- versus the ECMWF. This deep eastern Aleutian wave does appear to have some influence on the Subtropics for the latter half of the Hawai'i forecast (northwest swell setup?)---but not sure there was much need to use a deterministic approach beyond day 5. I would recommend using a blend of the two deterministic solutions (up to 60%) until 4/12z, then edge away from the deterministic GFS/ECMWF solutions. If I had a preference --- looking at what will transpire in the Alaska forecast today ---would keep some of the 31/00z deterministic ECMWF between 4/12z and 5/12z to dovetail into a 70/30 blend of the ECENS/GEFS means by 6/12Z. This should transition the sequencing of upper-level wave energy migration from a deep and complex upper feature moving from the southeast Bering Sea to the Gulf of Alaska by the end of this forecast period. Vojtesak