Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 808 AM EDT Mon May 15 2017 Valid 00Z Tue May 16 2017 - 00Z Tue May 23 2017 The subtropical ridge will remain dominant across the central Pacific until Saturday, with a broad weakness in the ridge evident across Hawai'i. Models show the potential for isolated shower activity beneath this weakness, associated with the trades. 20-30 knot easterlies throughout the lower-levels will keep the deepest moisture/highest precipitable water values south of Hawai'i through this period, however. Over the weekend, a trough is expected to begin amplifying to the north of the Hawai'ian islands, pushing a cold front southward toward the archipelago and becoming stationary north of the Islands by Sunday night into Monday. Models show good consensus on the general evolution of this trough and even with the timing of the front. At this time, the ECMWF suggests that the front will not be able to sufficiently tap into the pool of deeper moisture well south of the Islands, thus any shower activity would remain widely scattered even as the front approaches. The GFS shows some modestly higher PW values focused along the frontal boundary north of Hawai'i over the weekend, but keeps the most widespread showers/heaviest QPF north of the Islands through 00Z Tue. Ryan