Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 817 AM EDT Mon Oct 09 2017 Valid 00Z Tue Oct 10 2017 - 00Z Tue Oct 17 2017 A baroclinic low had become detached from the northern stream and was parked well north of the Hawaiian Islands. The low will more or less remain in place for several days while becoming stretched and then eventually absorbed as part of another low pinching off and retrograding out of the eastern Pacific. The low level pattern will have relatively more bearing on precipitation potential over Hawai'i, but in the near term this mid level low will leave a trailing mid level trough axis across the islands along with weakened trade winds for the next couple of days. Soundings from 00z Monday revealed dry and stable mid levels. The ingredients and opportunity for more widespread rain and heavier rain will very gradually move back into place later in the week as the easterlies reassert themselves at all levels, and a definable 850-700 mb trough passes through Wednesday and Thursday. The initial surge of greater precipitable water will wrap around the north side of the inverted trough...somewhat bypassing the Big Island. By late Thursday and especially Friday, however, PW of 1.50 to 1.75 inches then settles down across the entire state, and Friday looks like the day most favorable for heavy rainfall. Over the next weekend strong high pressure builds over the northeast Pacific, and low level winds over Hawai'i take on a northerly, drying component, with the atmosphere drying out from north to south. Overall the Pacific pattern is somewhat challenging, including a period of strong and wavy northern stream flow in the wake of a cyclone affecting the Aleutians mid-week. This seems to have little influence on Hawai'i, hwoever, as models are in strong agreement regarding the features at lower latitudes, including the peak in heavy rain potential occurring Friday. Burke