Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 704 AM EST Wed Nov 22 2017 Valid 00Z Thu Nov 23 2017 - 00Z Thu Nov 30 2017 Models show the large scale pattern across the central/northern Pacific changing over the next week. This will occur as a Rex Block which has been persistent for weeks well west of Hawai'i breaks down. Deterministic model solutions as well as ensembles show good agreement on this scenario. An elongated area of negative 500 hPa height anomalies has been persistent from Hawai'i northeastward toward the Gulf of Alaska over the past week downstream of the Rex Block. This elongated trough is expected to gradually weaken over the next week in response to the weakening block. At the surface, high pressure is forecast by all guidance to remain anchored north of the Islands through the weekend before drifting eastward early next week as a weakness in the ridge develops over the central Pacific, in the vicinity of Hawai'i. Northeasterly surface flow of 10-20 kt will gradually veer to a more easterly direction and strengthen to 15-25 kt over the next few days as the surface high gradually shifts east. As long as the surface ridge remains north of the Islands it will remain a source of relatively dry air, and precipitable water values should remain near or just below 1 inch through Saturday. This should keep shower activity relatively sparse and confined to windward terrain. From Sunday onward, Pwat values should increase as low-level flow changes in response to the developing surface weakness, pulling higher values (near 2 inches) northward across the eastern Islands. Models differ a bit with respect to this moisture return, and in contrast to yesterday, the GFS is now more aggressive than the ECMWF with increasing Pwats early next week, and thus shows greater potential for heavy rainfall by that time. Despite the wavering shown by the deterministic ECMWF with respect to moisture return early next week, EC ensemble probabilities suggest somewhat increased confidence for heavy rainfall, with 48-hour probabilities (ending 00Z Wed) of exceeding 2 inches of rain having increased to near 30 percent across the windward terrain of the Big Island. The GFS and ECMWF are in agreement that another push of dry air will make its way across Hawai'i by Wednesday, bringing an end to any threat for heavy rainfall. Ryan