Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 714 AM EST Sun Dec 03 2017 Valid 00Z Mon Dec 04 2017 - 00Z Mon Dec 11 2017 A strong upper-level ridge centered well to the west of Hawai'i will have downstream impacts across the north/central Pacific with persistent negative height anomalies and southward penetration of the westerlies toward Hawai'i. A shortwave is forecast to amplify north of the Islands Mon-Tue, pushing a cold front southward across the state. Models and ensembles show relatively low spread surrounding this feature, and confidence is above average early in the forecast period. While Pwat values will already be relatively low (0.80-1.00 inch), the passage of the front by Tue will bring even drier air to the state, with forecast Pwats forecast to drop to near or even below 0.50 inch. Gusty northerly to northeasterly winds of 20-25 kt will likely also accompany and follow the frontal passage. The lack of preexisting moisture ahead of the front will likely preclude any significant shower activity associated with its passage. Another shortwave is forecast to amplify north of Hawai'i by Wed, with a rather strong surface cyclone for 30-35 deg N accompanying it. Models and ensembles are also in relatively good agreement on this scenario with some differences surrounding the intensity of the system (00Z UKMET was strongest while the CMC was weakest). At this time the preferred solution is somewhere in the middle of the spread, toward a blend of the 00Z ECENS/GEFS/NAEFS. The 06Z GFS seems to be in this vicinity while the 00z ECMWF is a bit faster than consensus. A wave along the front may slow the progression toward Hawai'i but another cold front should be approaching the Islands by late in the week, with an associated increase in moisture increasing precipitation chances. Ryan