Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 718 AM EST Thu Dec 07 2017 Valid 00Z Fri Dec 08 2017 - 00Z Fri Dec 15 2017 A persistent area of negative 500 hPa height anomalies (-3 to -4 standard deviations) north of Hawai'i will support the passage of a couple cold fronts through the Islands over the next week. First shortwave amplifies north of Hawai'i on Saturday. Models/ensembles show generally good agreement surrounding this system, with the exception of the CMC which is less amplified and quicker to progress the wave east. The associated surface front should reach the northern Islands on Saturday and then sweep across the remaining Islands Saturday night. A relatively dry air mass will be in place across the state ahead of the front (Pwats near or < 1 inch), with modest moisture (Pwats near 1.25 inch) pooling along the front. Thus, expect shower activity to be generally limited to northward facing terrain given the north-northwesterly low-level winds along the front. In the wake of the first front, another round of very dry air should move across the state, with Pwats decreasing to well below 1 inch Sunday into Monday. A second shortwave amplifies north of the state on Tuesday, with guidance once again showing decent confidence in the timing/amplitude. The associated surface front reaches Hawai'i starting Monday night and crossing the Islands on Tuesday. Models solutions begin to differ by late next week, with the ECMWF developing a wave along the front which causes the front to stall for a time across the eastern Islands. Higher Pwats associated with this second front (1.50-1.80 inch) will result in greater precip coverage, so a potentially stalling front as shown by the ECMWF would result in the potential for heavy rainfall across the eastern Islands on Wednesday. The GFS differs from the ECMWF and pushes the front through the state quickly, with dry air once again invading the state by next Thursday. ECMWF ensemble probabilities show 10-20 percent probabilities of rainfall totals exceeding 1 inch across the eastern Islands associated with this system. Low-level easterlies will be suppressed south of Hawai'i through the next week, the result of the negative height anomalies across the central Pacific and the frequent frontal incursions into the region. Surface flow across Hawai'i will switch between north-northwesterly and south-southwesterly in ahead of/behind each front as it passes through the state. Ryan