Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 726 AM EST Fri Dec 08 2017 Valid 00Z Sat Dec 09 2017 - 00Z Sat Dec 16 2017 A persistent area of negative 500 hPa height anomalies (-3 to -4 standard deviations) north of Hawai'i will support the passage of a couple cold fronts through the Islands over the next week. First shortwave amplifies north of Hawai'i on Saturday. Models/ensembles show generally good agreement surrounding this system. The associated surface front should reach the northern Islands on Saturday and the GFS and ECMWF now both show the front stalling and dissipating across Hawaii Saturday night into Sunday. A relatively dry air mass will be in place across the state ahead of the front (Pwats near or < 1 inch), with modest moisture (Pwats near 1.25 inch) pooling along the front. Thus, expect shower activity to be generally limited to northward facing terrain given the northerly low-level winds along the front. A second shortwave amplifies north of the state on Tuesday, with guidance once again showing relatively minor differences with respect to the timing/amplitude. The associated surface front reaches Hawai'i early Tuesday morning and crosses the state on Tuesday. Significant uncertainty remains on whether the front will clear the state or potentially stall as a wave develops near the state. Ensemble support is growing for a 500-hPa low to close off just north of Hawai'i by late in the week, which would support some sort of stalling/wave development along the front, perhaps just south/east of Hawai'i. The ECMWF has backed off the idea of stalling the front directly over Hawai'i Wed-Thu and now resembles the GFS on pushing the front through the Islands on Thursday. The ECMWF differs from the GFS after that, however, developing a wave along the front east of the Islands that retrogrades back across the state on Friday, while the GFS continues to push the front quickly through Hawai'i allowing much drier air to move in. Ensemble spread surrounding this wave evolution is quite large, although many ECENS members do show a frontal wave developing in the vicinity. Nonetheless, higher Pwats associated with this second front (1.50-1.80 inch) will result in greater precip coverage and the potential for locally heavy rainfall. ECMWF ensemble probabilities continue to show 10-20 percent probabilities of rainfall totals exceeding 1-2 inches across the eastern Islands associated with this system. At this time, significant uncertainty remains surrounding the exact evolution of this frontal boundary as it reaches/crosses Hawai'i next week, and the potential for some heavy rainfall across the eastern Islands remains. Low-level easterlies will be suppressed south of Hawai'i through the next week, the result of the negative height anomalies across the central Pacific and the frequent frontal incursions into the region. Surface flow across Hawai'i will switch between northerly/southerly components ahead of/behind each front as it passes through the state. Ryan