Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 728 AM EST Sat Dec 09 2017 Valid 00Z Sun Dec 10 2017 - 00Z Sun Dec 17 2017 An active weather pattern will remain in place across the Central Pacific over the next week, with a couple shortwaves amplifying north of Hawai'i, and cold fronts affecting the state during the period. The first shortwave will skirt north of the state today and tonight, pushing a weak cold front across the Islands. The air mass ahead of the front continues to be relatively dry, and models show only modest moisture pooling along the boundary (Pwats near 1.20"). As a result, isolated to scattered shower activity will accompany the frontal passage, primarily focused on north facing terrain given the northerly winds associated with the frontal passage. A couple days of relatively quiet weather will follow the first front before a second upper shortwave amplifies north of the state Mon-Tue. Models and ensembles continue to show good agreement on the initial amplification of this system. Guidance has also come into better agreement in showing the wave rapidly amplifying and then an upper low cutting off near or even over Hawai'i by Thu. After cutting off, there is some disagreement among the guidance on if and how quickly the feature would retrograde westward, with the 00Z ECMWF the most aggressive in this, while the GFS/CMC are a bit farther east. ECENS/GEFS/NAEFS/CMC ensemble means are all in excellent agreement in showing a position fairly close to what is shown by the 06Z GFS, thus will prefer the GFS handling of this feature at this time. The degree to which the upper low retrogrades will have major implications for the amount of precipitation that occurs across Hawai'i. Expect the frontal boundary to stall south/east of Hawai'i as the upper low cuts off, with some potential for drier air to overspread the state. If the ECMWF solution were to verify and the upper low to retrograde more quickly, this would allow higher Pwats to be advected north across the state more quickly. This is shown in the model QPF, with the ECMWF solution showing more potential for convection across Hawai'i late next week relative to the GFS. ECENS probabilities continue to show only a 10-15 percent chance for QPF exceeding 1 inch over a 48-hour period ending at 00Z Sat, suggesting that the deterministic ECMWF solution is not necessarily the most likely one at this time (although it still cannot be ruled out). Regardless, expect another period of shower activity Tue night/Wed as the front crosses the state, with a more uncertain forecast after that time, largely depending on the exact evolution and track of the upper low. Ryan