Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 714 AM EST Sun Dec 10 2017 Valid 00Z Mon Dec 11 2017 - 00Z Mon Dec 18 2017 An active weather pattern will remain in place across the Central Pacific over the next week. Cold front pushing across Hawai'i today is expected to wash out as it reaches the southern islands tonight. A couple days of relatively quiet weather will follow before another upper shortwave amplifies north of the state Mon-Tue. Models and ensembles continue to show good agreement on the initial amplification of this system. Guidance also agrees on showing the wave rapidly amplifying and then an upper low cutting off near or even over Hawai'i by Thu. After cutting off, guidance generally show the feature retrograding westward, with the ECMWF continuing to be the most aggressive with this, although the GFS has moved toward the ECMWF solution. Expect the frontal boundary to stall south/east of Hawai'i as the upper low cuts off. Confidence is increasing that the upper low retrogression, will allow higher Pwats (1.30-1.70") to be advected north across the state by late in the week. As a result, the ECMWF and GFS both show the potential for heavy precipitation by late in the week, especially across the eastern islands where 20-30 kt easterly low-level flow will take hold. ECENS probabilities for heavier rainfall amounts late in the week have increased compared to yesterday, with a 25-35 percent chance of exceeding 1 inch across portions of the Big Island and Maui during the 48-hour period ending 12Z Sat, and a 10-20 percent chance of exceeding 2 inches during that time frame. Given the model trends and improving consensus, confidence is increasing in the potential for at least locally heavy rainfall across portions of the Big Island and Maui by late in the week. By next weekend, models/ensembles are in agreement that the upper low will become absorbed into an amplifying full-latitude shortwave axis extending from just west of Hawai'i to near 50 deg north. This will keep southeasterly moist low-level flow in place (especially across the eastern islands), with numerous showers possible through the weekend Ryan