Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 710 AM EST Mon Dec 11 2017 Valid 00Z Tue Dec 12 2017 - 00Z Tue Dec 19 2017 Cold front still appears on track to move across Hawai'i Tue/Wed as an upper trough amplifies north of the islands. Models/ensembles still show good agreement that a portion of the trough will cut off into an upper low just east of Hawai'i Wed night/Thu and then slowly drift westward into the weekend. By Sun-Mon the upper low should begin to become absorbed into another full latitude trough axis extending from just northwest of Hawai'i to the Gulf of Alaska. Sufficient moisture will be associated with the frontal passage Tue/Wed to support scattered showers and perhaps even a few localized areas of heavy rainfall. The more significant threat for rainfall will occur late in the week as the upper low cuts off and drifts west, allowing deeper moisture to be pulled northward across the state. Thus, expect numerous showers (and even some threat for thunder given the upper low passing overhead) by Fri-Sat, especially focused along east facing terrain given expected low-level easterly flow of 20-25 kt. ECENS QPF probabilities show about a 20 percent chance for exceeding 2 inches of rainfall across the Big Island and Maui for the 48-hour period ending at 00Z Sun, with a 35-45 percent chance for exceeding 1 inch - continuing a gradual climb in these probabilities noted over the past several days. Thus, confidence continues to increase in the potential for at least locally heavy rainfall across portions of the Big Island and Maui by late in the week. As the next upper trough amplifies northwest of Hawai'i by early next week, expect a broad plume of tropical moisture to continue streaming across portions of Hawai'i until the trough axis and any surface frontal boundary can clear the state. Ryan