Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 710 AM EST Tue Dec 26 2017 Valid 00Z Wed Dec 27 2017 - 00Z Wed Jan 03 2018 Shortwave expected to cross Hawai'i today through early Wed, with an additional shortwave amplifying just north of the Islands early Thu. In general, models and ensemble show good agreement with respect to both of these features. The primary exception was the 00Z UKMET, which appeared to be overly amplified with both waves. At the surface, expect a cold front to pass through the state Wed/Wed night, with low-level flow veering from southerly today and tonight to northerly or northeasterly in the wake of the cold front. Expect convection to accompany the front across Hawai'i. Satellite loop early this morning shows an active area of convection in association with the frontal system. This should continue as the front crosses the Islands, with the GFS and ECMWF in general agreement on this scenario, indicating the potential for 1-2 inches of rainfall, and localized higher amounts. From Fri night onward through the middle of next week, models/ensembles are in good agreement on building upper ridging from west of Hawai'i eastward across the state. Low-level easterlies should resume as the surface high initially north of Hawai'i moves eastward. This feature should keep a source of low-level dry air in place into next week, with shower activity rather sparse, and limited to the typical favored east-facing terrain. Ryan