Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 711 AM EST Sun Jan 14 2018 Valid 00Z Mon Jan 15 2018 - 00Z Mon Jan 22 2018 A relatively weak flow pattern will be in place across Hawai'i initially, with ridging centered east and west of the state, and a more active mid-latitude flow pattern to the north of the state. Over the next few days, models show good agreement that upper ridging will migrate eastward across Hawai'i, with the surface high centered north of the state. This will allow brisk low-level east to east-northeast flow to resume (reaching the 20-30 kt range by midweek), but will keep the deepest moisture suppressed south of the state. Thus, expect a modest increase through midweek in shower activity along windward terrain due to the increasing low-level flow, but widespread precipitation is not anticipated due to Pwats remaining well below 1 inch through much of the week. By late in the week, a majority of the models/ensembles show a weakness in the ridge developing west of Hawai'i as a piece of energy separates from the higher latitude flow. This should result in a gradual increase in Pwats across Hawai'i into the 1.0-1.2 inch range by the weekend, with values perhaps increasing further by early next week. A cold front is shown by both the ECMWF and GFS stalling north of Hawai'i by late next weekend. At this time both models show the greatest moisture pooling along this front, remaining north of Hawai'i along with most of the precipitation. Even if that is the case, the gradually increasing moisture across the state should yield a gradual increase in windward shower activity through next weekend. Ryan