Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 713 AM EST Sun Feb 18 2018 Valid 00Z Mon Feb 19 2018 - 00Z Mon Feb 26 2018 A wet pattern appears set to continue across Hawai'i through the next week. A surface boundary continues to linger across the state early this morning, which along with relatively high Pwats (1.25-1.50 inch range) is producing areas of deep convection with heavy rainfall. The large scale pattern across the central Pacific is not expected to change appreciably over the next week. Well to the north of Hawai'i, a blocking ridge is expected to weaken slightly, but will remain prevalent. South of the ridge, the pattern will favor the development and persistence of upper-level lows. The first such upper low is shown by all models to develop tonight into Monday, centered just north of Hawai'i. This feature appears relatively transient, with most guidance showing it dissipating by mid-week as another, deeper upper low develops farther to the west. Models show a general consensus that the surface boundary over the state this morning will gradually drift westward and weaken as the initial upper low weakens. As this second upper low develops by late in the week, a ridge axis is forecast to develop just east of Hawai'i. The combination of these to features will keep deep southerly/southwesterly flow in place and will continue to supply the region with abundant moisture to support convection, while surface flow remains east-southeasterly due to a strong surface high well northeast of Hawai'i. Surface ESE flow should gradually strengthen through the week and into next weekend as the aforementioned surface high drifts southward, strengthening the pressure gradient across the Central Pacific. Both the ECMWF and the GFS suggest a brief lull in convective activity by Tue as the initial upper low weakens and the surface boundary drifts west of the state. But a resumption in the potential for convection and heavy rainfall shown from Thu onward as the upper low takes hold farther west, and deeper moisture once again begins to stream across Hawai'i east of the low. Ryan