Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 808 AM EDT Fri Mar 23 2018 Valid 00Z Sat Mar 24 2018 - 00Z Sat Mar 31 2018 An upper low initially near 34N/171W is shown by all model/ensemble guidance to move southeastward over the next couple days, passing north of Hawai'i over the weekend, with an associated surface front passing through the islands as well. A surge of high precipitable water values (perhaps exceeding 2.00 inches) ahead of the front will support the development of widespread precipitation and potentially heavy rainfall. The heaviest rainfall should focus across the western islands through Sat and then across the eastern islands by Sun. While the GFS and ECMWF both show agreement on the timing of the system, convective/mesoscale differences affect the precise distribution of heavy rainfall. There remains uncertainty as to whether an extensive area of convection south of Hawai'i will cut off, to some degree, more extensive convection farther north across Hawai'i. Both the ECMWF and the GFS seem to show this occurring although to different degrees. The idea seems to have some support aloft, with somewhat better upper diffluence noted just south of Hawai'i late Sat into Sun. ECENS probabilities support this idea somewhat as well, with the highest probabilities of heavy rainfall amounts exceeding 2 inches just south of Hawai'i, and across the southwestern portion of the Big Island. After Monday, models/ensemble show general agreement that heights will gradually rise across Hawai'i with drier air advecting across the state. There is some suggestion that the Big Island could remain in deeper moisture with for another day as the surface front potentially stalls and quickly washes out, with the potential for showers persisting through Tuesday. Low-level flow during this time period should be very light through mid-week, with light easterlies resuming by late next week. A trough should begin to amplify along 175W by late next week, but at this time ensembles suggest that upper ridging should remain relatively strong across Hawai'i at least through Fri, keeping the chances for any widespread convection at bay. Ryan