Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 818 AM EDT Fri Apr 20 2018 Valid 00Z Sat Apr 21 2018 - 00Z Sat Apr 28 2018 Showers across Hawai'i will begin to decrease in coverage and intensity by tonight as the deepest moisture retreats south of the islands and an upper trough which has enhanced shower activity moves east. From Sat and into next week, heights will quickly rise across Hawai'i as an upper ridge expands west of the state. This will allow much drier air (PWs near or below 1 inch) to spread across the state, significantly reducing the coverage of any windward showers. Low-level easterlies should also increase into the 20-30 kt range by mid-week as the surface pressure gradient tightens a bit. Models/ensemble show general agreement that this drier pattern should persist into late next week, before a northern stream Pacific trough amplifies northwest of the state. Models show the amplifying trough pushing a cold front and pre-frontal surface trough toward Hawai'i by Friday. Solutions vary on timing but at this time an ensemble mean approach is preferred. The system should begin to disrupt the low-level easterlies by Friday, with moisture/PWs increasing as well. With the best height falls remaining north of Hawai'i, however, models are not overly aggressive with increasing shower activity in association with this system. Ryan