Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 824 AM EDT Sat Apr 28 2018 Valid 00Z Sun Apr 29 2018 - 00Z Sun May 06 2018 The large scale pattern across the central and north Pacific will remain relatively unchanged through the next week. Models/ensemble show a strong signal for a broad area of negative height anomalies persisting in the vicinity of 35-40N/150-170W. The persistent large scale trough will be maintained by a series of mid/upper-level shortwaves that traverse the northern stream flow across the Pacific and then amplify as they encounter the existing large scale cyclonic flow in place north of Hawai'i. Initially, satellite imagery this morning show a relatively strong upper-level low in place approximately 500 miles north of Hawai'i. South of the upper low, a weakening surface front and a pre-frontal trough are crossing Hawai'i, with deep tropical moisture along and ahead of the front. As the initial upper low weakens and becomes absorbed in the higher latitude westerlies, and a second shortwave enters the large scale mean trough early next week, models show the surface front and the associated deep moisture gradually lifting northward across Hawai'i over the next couple days, and lingering into next weekend as it gradually washes out. Guidance shows low-level winds remaining relatively light and variable in the vicinity of the surface front as it washes out, thus the potential for sustained orographic rains appears fairly limited, despite the deeper moisture. Nonetheless, given the deeper moisture overspreading the state, expect the potential for at least brief locally heavy rains through much of the next week across the state. Ryan