Hawaii Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 729 AM EST Mon Feb 25 2019 Valid 00Z Tue Feb 26 2019 - 00Z Tue Mar 05 2019 With the strong ridging stretching into Alaska, this will favor lower heights to its south, roughly along 150W to the northeast of Hawai'i next week. The tail end of another front will continue to push south over the Hawai'ian islands--bringing slightly higher precipitable water values with its progression. Meanwhile, expect the Big Island to have precipitable water values over 1-1.2" due to the lingering frontal boundary that passed across the island chain on Sunday. This will result in higher chances of showers especially for the northern half of the islands today as the front pushes southward. As this system moves away, another closed mid-level low quickly follows late Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning. This low will drop southward toward Hawai'i and with it another frontal boundary. With this system, higher precipitable water values are expected especially from Moloka'i to the Big Island. By Thursday, high pressure will settle in with drier conditions. Expect this quiet period to last through Saturday. The next system to approach Hawai'i will begin to drop southward toward the islands by late Saturday and into Sunday morning. There are some differences in the ensemble means in terms of timing with this system. By Monday morning, the 00Z CMC ensemble mean is farther north and faster with the mid-level trough. The 00Z ECMWF ensemble mean and 06Z GEFS mean show a closed low centered just to the west of 150W. At the surface, the 00Z ECMWF ensemble mean has the low just to the northeast of the 06Z GEFS mean and 00Z NAEFS mean. The ECMWF ensemble mean is also slightly lower in pressure than this low. Expect another round of showers to accompany this system. Reinhart